Community

Home>Community

Walking to the shops makes life better

It often takes an outside eye to help one see things close at hand. Last night, a friend came to my house for supper. I'd made a rhubarb crumble, and mentioned that it really should be served with ice cream. Everyone agreed, and my daughter said, in the most ordinary way, "I'll go get some at the coop." The Berkshire Coop is a small version of Wholefoods and it's about five minutes' walk from my house, straight down the hill and across Main Street. She picked up her purse and [...]

June 27th, 2012|Categories: Community|Tags: , |

Say Hello To 5 Strangers Today

Here's a blog post from "One Green Generation" about community building that offers a specific suggestion: Say Hello To 5 Strangers Today. I've pasted part of the post and a few of the comments here. The consistent point, as you'll see, is that we have lost a sense of community that used to exist as a part of daily life. I agree that we can make a difference by changing how we behave in small ways (I've been experimenting, and will write about that soon), and there are regional and [...]

June 2nd, 2012|Categories: Community|Tags: |

How to Build an Online Community | Cisionblog

Or not. This extract, "How to Build an Online Community," comes from a website for PR people, from a company that sells what is, I'm sure, a fantastic (and thus expensive) database of media people: A community is more than just a one-time marketing campaign. It

May 7th, 2012|Categories: Community|Tags: |

“Only connect. . .” – Howards End by E M Forster

I found an old copy of Howards End on my bookshelves after reading a reference to its epigram, "Only connect. . ." Connecting is on my mind, working on this project and on my company's ChinaConnectU.com, and of course in life, too. I remembered the green paperback amongst my myriad books, poetry and novels from my student days that I somehow got to England after college and to the East Coast when I returned to the States ten years' later. I began reading, was immediately engaged by the amusing opening [...]

April 14th, 2012|Categories: Community|Tags: |

Virtual Community: Can We Survive It?

This is a good description of what I see sometimes, the retreat from reality to the screen (first, second, sometimes even third). What interests me most is why? What are we retreating from, and seeking? Sure this is happening, our behavior is changing, because we have the means in our hands. Companies are profiting hugely from the shift. But what is it that we're after, as we peer into that tiny bright rectangle? What am I after, writing here? Because we know that we can always get on Facebook, or [...]

February 3rd, 2012|Categories: Community|Tags: , |